There are millions of searches on Google every month for insights on the keto diet; this illustrates how popular the keto diet has become. Particularly, the 7-day-Keto-Challenge has gained popularity and is a community of people who challenge each other to reach ketosis in 7 days.
As you partake in the ketogenic diet, your body builds up elevated levels of an acid called ketones which drive the body to a state of ketosis. Ketosis is a metabolic process where the body burns stored fat due to a lack of glucose for energy. Reaching Ketosis is vital to ketogenic weight loss.
Useful Tips For Your Keto Journey
How To Know If You have reached Ketosis?
- Keto Breathe: One of the first things you might notice as you approach ketosis is a metallic fruity smell to your breath. Do not be alarmed! This is simply a result of increased ketones in your body.
- Weight Reduction: Do not be alarmed if you observe rapid weight loss in the beginning, as increased levels of ketones do cause a reduction in water weight and a fat burn.
- Appetite Suppression: The increased levels of ketones in your body might cause a decrease in the hormones ghrelin and cholecystokinin (CCK) which affect appetite. Consequently, do not be surprised if you notice a decrease in your appetite.
There are so many more symptoms that might indicate you are in ketosis like fatigue, improved mental performance, insomnia, digestive issues, and muscle cramps. However, the easiest way to confirm if you are in ketosis is to test your ketones using Ketones Testing Strips. All of these steps prove that you are in ketosis and on your way to fat adaptation. Fat adaptation simply means your body has been trained to rely on fat as its energy source.
How Can You Reach Ketosis Without Going Crazy?
- Top Your Proteins Up With Olive Oil Before. A popular reason most fail or struggle with the keto diet is that they do not get enough healthy fats. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, which are healthy fats. Adding this to your meats will help ease the struggle.
- Pay Attention To Your Body: Since the keto diet is so stringent, it is popular to focus on all the numbers and tools out there. You ought to be really mindful of how you feel, your stress levels and your mental clarity. Generally, start off at 20 grams net carbs.
- Not All Veggies Are Equal: Not all veggies are keto-friendly, even the green ones. Consider the four or five green vegetables you most often consume, then go and look up the carb counts in one meal. This will guide you on how many cups you can have.
How To Maintain A Ketogenic Diet While Working From Home?
Although maintaining a Ketogenic diet requires self-discipline and determination, workers who commute to a job location might have an added advantage. They can pack their keto meals to work and are forced to eat only during lunchtime; this reduces idle eating. On the other hand, work-from-home-workers like you face more challenges. The refrigerator is a few feets away and there is no one to tell you when you can and cannot eat. Here are a few tips to overcome these temptations if you work from home.
- Stock Your Fridge With Keto-Friendly Snacks: You are bound to face temptations to eat from boredom when you are home alone. If you do slip and fall into this temptation, ensure to snack on the right foods. When you go to the grocery store, avoid snacks that are high in carbs and purchase only fruits and keto-friendly snacks.
- Drink Lots Of Water: A lot of the time, most people are not hungry, but thirsty. To avoid eating more than necessary, drink more glasses of water and a shot of apple cider vinegar, it would keep you full and suppress your appetite.
- Take Notes Of What You Eat: Give yourself some accountability by writing down what you are about to eat before you do. Seeing a visual list of your food quantity and choices would give you the discipline you need to avoid overeating.
What Are Healthy Snacks That Won’t Kick You Out Of Ketosis?
Since the Ketogenic diet is known for balancing blood sugar, it is nice to have options of healthy keto friendly snacks that can satisfy your cravings without costing you ketosis. Here are some examples:
- Salmon salad celery boats
- Keto Sushi rolls
- Keto tortilla chips
- Avocado chips
- Nacho cheese crisps
- Keto burger fat bombs
What WFH Exercises Can You Engage in ?
It is not just enough to eat well during your keto journey, you should also engage in some exercise. Regular exercise is linked to health benefits like reduced risk of chronic diseases, stronger bones and improved moods. Here are a few exercises you can engage in.
- Walking: Walking is one of the best exercises for weight loss. You could easily fit walking into your daily activities. To add more steps to your day, try taking a break from your home office and venture outside with your dog for a quick 30 minute or more walk. Doing this four or more times a week would improve your overall health
- Jogging: Jogging or running is also great to help you stay fit. Jogging or running can be done anywhere and are easy to incorporate into your weekly routine. To get started, aim to jog for 20 to 30 minutes, 3 to 4 times in a week.
- Cross Jack: this is also a great exercise that can be done anywhere. It is done by making moves in a circuit once or twice, 3 times in a week.When cross jack is mixed with strength and sweat sessions with one or two cardio workouts,it helps to build muscle.
How Can You Include Intermittent Fasting in Keto?
Intermittent fasting is currently one of the most popular health and fitness trends. Including Intermittent Fasting in your Keto journey will have an improved and powerful effect on your body and brain. Intermittent fasting can also help you live longer. Try these fasting methods to help you reach your goals:
- 16/8 Method: This involves skipping breakfast and restricting your daily eating period to 8 hours,such as 1-9 pm daily,then you fast for 16 hours in between.
- Eat- Stop- Eat: this means fasting for 24 hours once or twice a week. For example; by not eating dinner one day until dinner the next day.
- The 5:2 Diet: this means, you take only 500 to 600 calories on two non-consecutive days of the week,but eat normally the other 5 days