Alright, so your friend Katie has been telling you about how she is loving her keto diet, and you are curious to try it out? Whether you are a newbie or a keto veteran like Katie, there are several mistakes you need to avoid while on this ketogenic diet.
If you did not already know, the ketogenic diet is a diet that involves a reduction in carbohydrate consumption, and an increase in vegetable and protein intake, which in effect brings a lot of health benefits and aids weight loss. The keto diet is known to help fight ailments like epilepsy, diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimer's disease. However, before you jump into the diet, here are a few mistakes to avoid.
- Being Scared Of Eating Too Many Fats: It is a very common misconception that one should not consume fats while on a ketogenic diet. This is usually because they have the notion that a high intake of fats causes obesity. This is however a common mistake, as you should ensure you replace the carbohydrate calories which you are cutting down on with calories from fats. Lack of calories in your body system will have a negative effect on your metabolism and the functionality of your hormones. This will leave you feeling regularly tired as your body is lacking in nutrients; both macronutrients and micronutrients. The Collagen Peptides Supplement which contains ingredients such as eggs, tree nuts, and soy will provide you with a lot of nutrients.
- Eating The Wrong Fats: As much as eating inadequate fats is a problem, it is important to also ensure that you are eating the right type of fats. There are many type of fats, and you should consume the right ones if you want the best results. There are healthy fats to eat when on a ketogenic diet, and there are also unhealthy fats. Healthy fats include coconut oil, olive oil, monounsaturated fats such as oil from avocados, as well as animal fats. The animal fats are best when it comes from grass-fed or pastured animals such as cows and goats. Bone and Oak MCT Oil is a keto-friendly oil which is full of nutrients. Some of the unhealthy fats to totally avoid include safflower oil, cottonseed oil, grapeseed oil, all kinds of trans fats, processed vegetable oils, margarine as well as canola oil. Consume the right fats in adequate proportions and you can be sure to see great results in no time.
- Minimal Water Intake: Water intake is a very important aspect of every diet, and even more in a ketogenic diet. A mistake that a lot of people make is not drinking enough water while on a ketogenic diet. It is essential to drink a lot of water when on a keto diet, as it helps your body adapt faster. As your body is making the transition from burning carbs for fuel to burning oil, it is very important that you increase your water intake as it helps you to adapt. Carbohydrates usually store water in the body, but when you reduce its intake, the water which will normally be stored is excreted. Drinking between 0.5 oz to 1 oz of water every day will do the trick. You can also use your urine color to gauge your hydration level. Clear urine means you are hydrated while a dark yellow coloration means you need more water. To check if you're in ketosis, simply use our ketone testing strips to see your levels.
- Consuming Too Little Sodium: Just like with water, a switch to a ketogenic diet reduces the volume of sodium in your body. In fact, the sodium is excreted along with water, as carbohydrates are not present in your body to hold them in. Most are not aware of this, leading to a sodium deficiency in the body which could cause the keto flu. You should therefore increase your salt intake to correct this, add salt to your meals. You can also add pink Himalayan sea salt to your water. The goal is to stay healthier with the ketogenic diet so you must ensure to avoid getting hit by the keto flu. The Exogenous Ketone Supplement contains sodium and various other keto approved supplements to ensure you feel strong and aid in preventing the keto flu.
- Consuming Too Much Dairy: Dairy is generally viewed as the perfect food to consume when on a low- carbohydrate and high-fat diet, like the ketogenic diet. This however quickly leads to excess consumption of dairy. Due to their sugar and protein content, they can increase your calories level. This is why it is important that you avoid consuming excess dairy.
- Too Much Protein: It is a general misconception that you need a lot of protein when on a ketogenic diet. While you truly need protein for bodybuilding, it is important that you keep it at the barest minimum. This is because on a keto diet that uses fats as the source of energy, excess protein in the body is converted into glucose. This in effect will increase your blood sugar level and defeat the purpose of your diet.
- Failing To Plan Your Meal: Failing to plan your meal regularly will tempt you to consume foods that are not keto friendly. This could lead to you eating excess carbohydrates, protein, and even sugar. Meal planning can be time-consuming but it saves you a lot of stress and keeps your keto lifestyle moving smoothly. It also allows you to notice irregularities in your diet and take out unwanted elements in your meal. Planning your meal is much better using the Modern Keto Cookbook, as you have a wide range of recipes to choose from.
- Lack of Ample Sleep: Not sleeping enough will affect your metabolism and would prevent your ketogenic diet from being as effective as it should be. Lack of sleep increases stress levels and sugar cravings which is counterproductive to what you seek to achieve with your keto diet. Eight hours a day should be the norm, as your body gets enough rest to repair itself.
- Worrying About The Scale: It is normal to be curious about the results of your hard work and discipline. You must however make sure to not obsess over scales as this might discourage you. Weight loss is one of the many benefits of the ketogenic diet as well as the most noticeable. While it is usually noticeable, losing weight might take a while as your body adjusts. Checking your weight multiple times a day will not serve you in good stead, as you will most likely not see immediate improvements. A better way to track your progress is to check your body fat level and body composition. Using the Bone and Oak Ketone Testing Strips, you can test the ketones in your urine to be sure you are on the right track.
Avoiding these mistakes will ensure that you enjoy the rest of your ketogenic diet journey. As a newbie to the keto diet, the Keto Starter Pack is all you need for a smooth transition, as it contains a cookbook, collagen peptides amongst other things. Stay hydrated, eat the right foods in adequate proportions, and get enough sleep. Also, avoid overconsumption of dairy and protein, and you can be sure to see results in no time. Keep a positive attitude, and avoid worrying about the scale.
Utilizing the provided statistics, understand that keto is more than just a diet but a full lifestyle; in effect bringing a lot of benefits.